Dr. Mary K. Hausbeck
University Distinguished Professor
and Extension Specialist
140 Plant Biology Lab
164 Plant Biology Lab
Post-doctoral research associate
164 Plant Biology Lab
cucurbit downy mildew
Fungicide resistance in
Botrytis of ornamentals
Crown rot and wilt
Crown and root rot
Cucumber downy mildew
disease forecasting and
- Amber L. Neils. 2018. Ph.D. Dissertation: Management and characterization of Alternaria spp. and seedborne pathogens associated with American ginseng.
- Kim Eang Tho. 2018. Ph.D. Dissertation: Survey of bacterial foliage diseases in onions, their virulence, epidemiology and management.
- Safa A. Alzohairy. 2018. Ph.D. Dissertation: Characterization of winter squash age-related resistance to Phytophthora capsici through fruit peel transcriptome profiling and investigation of cell wall properties.
- Blair R. Harlan. 2018. M.S. Thesis: Epidemiology and management of coleus and impatiens downy mildew; new and emerging pathogens in the United States.
- Katelyn E. Goldenhar. 2018. M.S. Thesis: Management of cucumber downy mildew with fungicides and host resistance.
- Irene M. Donne. 2017. M.S. Thesis: Managing carrot foliar diseases in commercial production fields in Michigan.
- Charles S. Krasnow. 2016. Ph.D. Dissertation: Effects of host resistance, fungicides, and cover crops on Phytophthora capsici.
- Gabriel A. Torres-Londono. 2016. Ph.D. Dissertation: Morphological characterization, virulence, and fungicide sensitivity evaluation of Phytophthora palmivora.
- Prissana Wiriyajitsomboon. 2015. Ph.D. Dissertation: Characterization of Setophoma terrestris causing pink root in onion, disease management, and age-related resistance.
- Johanna Del Castillo Múnera. 2015. Ph.D. Dissertation: Characterization, population genetics and management of Pythium spp. from floriculture crops in Michigan.
- Chelsea A. Woods. 2014. M.S. Thesis: Evaluation of strategies for managing soilborne pathogens of asparagus in Michigan.
- Lina M. Rodriguez-Salamanca. 2013. Ph.D. Dissertation: Characterization, virulence, epidemiology, and management of Colletotrichum spp. causing anthracnose in onion and celery.
- Rachel P. Naegele. 2013. Ph.D. Dissertation: Genetic diversity, population structure, and host resistance to Phytophthora capsici in the Solanaceae.
- M. Catalina Cespedes-Sanchez. 2012. M.S. Thesis: Host susceptibility to two Peronosporales among cucurbits and beans.
- Michael D. Meyer. 2012. Ph.D. Dissertation: Management of Phytophthora capsici on summer squash and age-related resistance on processing pumpkin and winter squash fruits.
- Tiffany B. Enzenbacher. 2011. M.S. Thesis: An evaluation of cucurbits and ornamentals to Phytophthora spp.
- Xiaopeng Wang. 2010. M.S. Thesis: Susceptibility of cucurbit foliage and fruits to Phytophthora capsici.
- Lina M. Quesada-Ocampo. 2010. Ph.D. Dissertation: Host range, host resistance and population structure of Phytophthora capsici.
- Lina M. Rodriguez-Salamanca. 2010. M.S. Thesis: Management of asparagus rots.
- Leah L. Granke. 2010. Ph.D. Dissertation: Effects of environmental conditions on Phytophthora capsici dispersal and disease development.
- Abigail F. Morris. 2009. M.S. Project: Effect of jasmonic acid on the saponin concentration of American ginseng.
- Jennifer M. Foster. 2009. M.S. Thesis: Management tools to control Phytophthora capsici in pepper and eggplant.
- Catherine Erhardt. 2009. M.S. Thesis: Developing a high-throughput, SNP-based population screening method for Pseudoperonospora cubensis.
- Shaunta N. Hill. 2009. Ph.D. Dissertation: Epidemiology of Alternaria panax on American ginseng and evaluation of a disease forecaster.
- James W. Counts, Jr. 2006. M.S. Thesis: Strategies for managing Fusarium crown and root rot on asparagus.
- Ryan S. Bounds. 2006. Ph.D. Dissertation: Integrating disease predictors and a reduced-risk fungicide and evaluating disease thresholds for late blight management in celery.
- Amanda J. Gevens. 2005. Ph.D. Dissertation: Documenting and characterizing Phytophthora capsici from irrigation water and bean in Michigan and screening for fruit resistance in cucumber.
- Bryan J. Webster. 2005. M.S. Thesis: Managing foliar blights on specialty crops.
- Shaunta N. Hill. 2005. M.S. Thesis: Virulence and fungicide sensitivity of Phytophthora cactorum isolated from American ginseng.
- Julianna K. Tuell. 2003. M.S. Thesis: Fusarium and the asparagus miner (Ophiomyia simplex L.) in Michigan.
- Ryan S. Bounds. 2003. M.S. Thesis: Using scouting and disease forecasters to manage foliar blights of carrots.
- Elizabeth A. Dorman. 2003. M.S. Thesis: Developing a reduced risk management program to control Alternaria dauci and Cercospora carotae on carrots in Michigan.
- Janet M. Byrne. 2002. Ph.D. Dissertation: Epidemiology of mildews on floricultural crops.
- Kurt H. Lamour. 2001. Ph.D. Dissertation: An investigation of Phytophthora capsici on vegetable hosts in Michigan: Survival, spread, and response to the phenylamide fungicide mefenoxam.
- Amanda K. Rinehart. 2001. M.S. Thesis: The use of arbuscular mycorrhizae to remediate the effects of Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. asparagi and Fusarium proliferatum.
- Taylor C. Reid. 2000. M.S. Thesis: Evaluation of strategies for the control of Fusarium crown and root rot of asparagus.
- Nicole A. Werner. 2000. M.S. Thesis: Genomic variation and control of Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. michiganensis.
- Carmen M. Medina-Mora. 1999. M.S. Thesis: Genetic variation in strains of Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. michiganensis and the development of bird’s eye lesions on tomatoes.
- Monica P. Meyer. 1997. M.S. Thesis: Using TOM-CAST, a disease forecasting system, for timing fungicide sprays for purple spot of asparagus.
- Laura L. Arriola. 1997. M.S. Thesis: Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and Trichoderma harzianum in relation to border cell production and Fusarium root rot of asparagus.
- Janet M. Byrne. 1996. M.S. Thesis: Epidemiology and management of Colletotrichum coccodes on processing tomatoes.
- Gail J. Celio. 1996. M.S. Thesis: Evaluation of cultivar susceptibility and early development of powdery mildew on poinsettia.
- Patricia M. Pritchard. 1995. M.S. Thesis: Influence of DIF on the susceptibility of floral crops to Botrytis cinerea.