Dr. Mary K. Hausbeck
University Distinguished Professor and Extension Specialist
140 Plant Biology Lab
Post-doctoral research associate
164 Plant Biology Lab
164A Plant Biology Lab
164 Plant Biology Lab • (517) 355-4576
Fungicide resistance in
Botrytis of ornamentals
Root rot of ginseng
Crown rot and wilt
of asparagus through
Root vegetable pathogens
and cover crop susceptibility
Cucumber downy mildew
disease forecasting and
- Grace E. Kenny. 2021. M.S. Thesis: Pseudoperonospora cubensis, the causal agent of cucumber downy mildew
- Sara E. Getson. 2021. M.S. Thesis: Fusarium spp. associated with perennial specialty crops.
- Doug S. Higgins. 2020. Ph.D. Dissertation: Hop downy mildew management strategies and the etiology of halo blight in Michigan.
- Sunil Shrestha. 2020. M.S. Thesis: Managing Botrytis blight in greenhouse ornamentals through host resistance and biorational products.
- Julian C. Bello. 2020. Ph.D. Dissertation: Genetic monitoring of cucurbit downy mildew in Michigan.
- Amber L. Neils. 2018. Ph.D. Dissertation: Management and characterization of Alternaria spp. and seedborne pathogens associated with American ginseng.
- Kim Eang Tho. 2018. Ph.D. Dissertation: Survey of bacterial foliage diseases in onions, their virulence, epidemiology and management.
- Safa A. Alzohairy. 2018. Ph.D. Dissertation: Characterization of winter squash age-related resistance to Phytophthora capsici through fruit peel transcriptome profiling and investigation of cell wall properties.
- Blair R. Harlan. 2018. M.S. Thesis: Epidemiology and management of coleus and impatiens downy mildew; new and emerging pathogens in the United States.
- Katelyn E. Goldenhar. 2018. M.S. Thesis: Management of cucumber downy mildew with fungicides and host resistance.
- Irene M. Donne. 2017. M.S. Thesis: Managing carrot foliar diseases in commercial production fields in Michigan.
- Charles S. Krasnow. 2016. Ph.D. Dissertation: Effects of host resistance, fungicides, and cover crops on Phytophthora capsici.
- Gabriel A. Torres-Londono. 2016. Ph.D. Dissertation: Morphological characterization, virulence, and fungicide sensitivity evaluation of Phytophthora palmivora.
- Prissana Wiriyajitsomboon. 2015. Ph.D. Dissertation: Characterization of Setophoma terrestris causing pink root in onion, disease management, and age-related resistance.
- Johanna Del Castillo Múnera. 2015. Ph.D. Dissertation: Characterization, population genetics and management of Pythium spp. from floriculture crops in Michigan.
- Chelsea A. Woods. 2014. M.S. Thesis: Evaluation of strategies for managing soilborne pathogens of asparagus in Michigan.
- Lina M. Rodriguez-Salamanca. 2013. Ph.D. Dissertation: Characterization, virulence, epidemiology, and management of Colletotrichum spp. causing anthracnose in onion and celery.
- Rachel P. Naegele. 2013. Ph.D. Dissertation: Genetic diversity, population structure, and host resistance to Phytophthora capsici in the Solanaceae.
- M. Catalina Cespedes-Sanchez. 2012. M.S. Thesis: Host susceptibility to two Peronosporales among cucurbits and beans.
- Michael D. Meyer. 2012. Ph.D. Dissertation: Management of Phytophthora capsici on summer squash and age-related resistance on processing pumpkin and winter squash fruits.
- Tiffany B. Enzenbacher. 2011. M.S. Thesis: An evaluation of cucurbits and ornamentals to Phytophthora spp.
- Xiaopeng Wang. 2010. M.S. Thesis: Susceptibility of cucurbit foliage and fruits to Phytophthora capsici.
- Lina M. Quesada-Ocampo. 2010. Ph.D. Dissertation: Host range, host resistance and population structure of Phytophthora capsici.
- Lina M. Rodriguez-Salamanca. 2010. M.S. Thesis: Management of asparagus rots.
- Leah L. Granke. 2010. Ph.D. Dissertation: Effects of environmental conditions on Phytophthora capsici dispersal and disease development.
- Abigail F. Morris. 2009. M.S. Project: Effect of jasmonic acid on the saponin concentration of American ginseng.
- Jennifer M. Foster. 2009. M.S. Thesis: Management tools to control Phytophthora capsici in pepper and eggplant.
- Catherine Erhardt. 2009. M.S. Thesis: Developing a high-throughput, SNP-based population screening method for Pseudoperonospora cubensis.
- Shaunta N. Hill. 2009. Ph.D. Dissertation: Epidemiology of Alternaria panax on American ginseng and evaluation of a disease forecaster.
- James W. Counts, Jr. 2006. M.S. Thesis: Strategies for managing Fusarium crown and root rot on asparagus.
- Ryan S. Bounds. 2006. Ph.D. Dissertation: Integrating disease predictors and a reduced-risk fungicide and evaluating disease thresholds for late blight management in celery.
- Amanda J. Gevens. 2005. Ph.D. Dissertation: Documenting and characterizing Phytophthora capsici from irrigation water and bean in Michigan and screening for fruit resistance in cucumber.
- Bryan J. Webster. 2005. M.S. Thesis: Managing foliar blights on specialty crops.
- Shaunta N. Hill. 2005. M.S. Thesis: Virulence and fungicide sensitivity of Phytophthora cactorum isolated from American ginseng.
- Julianna K. Tuell. 2003. M.S. Thesis: Fusarium and the asparagus miner (Ophiomyia simplex L.) in Michigan.
- Ryan S. Bounds. 2003. M.S. Thesis: Using scouting and disease forecasters to manage foliar blights of carrots.
- Elizabeth A. Dorman. 2003. M.S. Thesis: Developing a reduced risk management program to control Alternaria dauci and Cercospora carotae on carrots in Michigan.
- Janet M. Byrne. 2002. Ph.D. Dissertation: Epidemiology of mildews on floricultural crops.
- Kurt H. Lamour. 2001. Ph.D. Dissertation: An investigation of Phytophthora capsici on vegetable hosts in Michigan: Survival, spread, and response to the phenylamide fungicide mefenoxam.
- Amanda K. Rinehart. 2001. M.S. Thesis: The use of arbuscular mycorrhizae to remediate the effects of Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. asparagi and Fusarium proliferatum.
- Taylor C. Reid. 2000. M.S. Thesis: Evaluation of strategies for the control of Fusarium crown and root rot of asparagus.
- Nicole A. Werner. 2000. M.S. Thesis: Genomic variation and control of Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. michiganensis.
- Carmen M. Medina-Mora. 1999. M.S. Thesis: Genetic variation in strains of Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. michiganensis and the development of bird’s eye lesions on tomatoes.
- Monica P. Meyer. 1997. M.S. Thesis: Using TOM-CAST, a disease forecasting system, for timing fungicide sprays for purple spot of asparagus.
- Laura L. Arriola. 1997. M.S. Thesis: Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and Trichoderma harzianum in relation to border cell production and Fusarium root rot of asparagus.
- Janet M. Byrne. 1996. M.S. Thesis: Epidemiology and management of Colletotrichum coccodes on processing tomatoes.
- Gail J. Celio. 1996. M.S. Thesis: Evaluation of cultivar susceptibility and early development of powdery mildew on poinsettia.
- Patricia M. Pritchard. 1995. M.S. Thesis: Influence of DIF on the susceptibility of floral crops to Botrytis cinerea.